Opportunity: Artistic Director, Zilker Theatre Productions (Part-Time, Paid), Application Deadline: August 23, 2017
Zilker Theatre Productions
The mission of Zilker Theatre Productions is to provide exceptional performing arts experiences to the entire community. ZTP will celebrate 60 years of the ZIlker Summer Musical in 2018.
ZTP is hiring a part-time Artistic Director during an exciting period of growth for the organization. This job is highly seasonal, with the majority of hours logged between March-July. The majority of hours worked will be remote/offsite as ZTP has no central offices. It is anticipated that the Artistic Director will work no more than 40 hours per month in the off-season and no more than 100 hours per month in the busy season. This will be a salaried position with no benefits.
Working closely with the Executive Director and reporting to the Board of Directors, The AD will develop and implement the artistic mission of the Zilker Theatre Productions and oversee the successful execution of the Annual Zilker Summer Musical, from securing rights to the final curtain call.
- Secures directors/choreographers for Zilker Summer Musical (Fall)
- Researches and selects shows to present to the Artistic and Marketing Committee for their input and vote on the upcoming season (Fall/Spring for following year)
- Works with Director of Production to secure the creative and production teams for each Zilker Summer Musical (Fall)
- Coordinates Annual Audition Workshops and Auditions (Winter/Spring)
- Sits in on the auditions and assists with casting (Spring)
- Has ultimate oversight over shows and works with the individual directors as needed (Spring/Summer)
- Supervises rehearsal process to ensure highest possible degree of professionalism and artistic quality
- Is the direct supervisor for Director of Production. Works with her/him to assure top quality technical and artistic elements for every ZSM. Assists annual evaluations/postmortem reviews of department head
- Consults with the Director of Production on scheduling and logistical matters
- Curates and leads Educational Programming, including ZTP’s Flagship Educational Program, our Audition Workshop and our Saturday Evening Preshow Programming during the run of the ZSM
Marketing and Publicity
- Works with Director of Development & Marketing and contract graphic designer(s) to ensure quality of design for all publicity materials for ZTP productions and initiatives
- Assumes primary responsibility for the artistic representation of ZTP to stakeholders, including the artistic integrity of ZTP's brand
Special Events/Other Duties
- Special events: Coordinates special events and publicity events as agreed with Executive Director and Board; gets music director and talent; responsible for entertainment on all company functions including donor events.
- Serves as the "face" of ZTP at select engagements, events and performances;
- Attends and reports at Board meetings
- Assists and accompanies the Executive Director on partner meetings as agreed
- Attends one 4-hour monthly meeting with senior colleagues
An outstanding Artistic Director could come from a variety of educational and professional backgrounds. We are looking for someone who thrives on working independently and can work well remotely. The ideal candidate will have a flexible schedule, a passion for musical theatre, a variety of different directing experiences to draw from, strong verbal and written communication skills, a collaborative personality and great comfort with charting new territory. Master’s Degree in Directing or Performing preferred. Strong Microsoft Excel and organizational skills a plus.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to the Hiring Committee at email@example.com by August 23, 2017. Interviews will be held in September for an October 1, 2017 position start date. Additional materials may be requested.