by One Ounce Opera
Jul. 05 - Aug. 15 (2016)
- *was founded in August of 2012 with the motto — “Opera isn’t obsolete. Popular opinion of opera is.”
- *is dedicated to reimagining opera in unexpected spaces, from the rock stages of Red 7 to City Hall.
- *is an ensemble of professional singing artists who incubate, create, and produce opportunities to inject “ounces” of opera and classical references into the social consciousness, utilizing cross-genre collaborations, pop-culture references, a bit of improvisation, and the simple beauty of the human voice.
- *is an award-winning collective who has been featured on KVUE, KMFA, KUTX, KOOP, KVRX, on Austin 360 and in the Austin Chronicle, and performed as part of EAST, Fusebox, SoundSpace at the Blanton, HONKTX!, during SXSW, PRIDE Austin, and the Downtown Tree Lighting.
- *is humbled to be one of the newest sponsored projects of the Austin Creative Alliance.
The OOO mission thrives because of generous support from fans like you. By making a tax-deductible contribution, your hard-earned gift will produce memorable, accessible, high-quality operatic experiences right here in Austin.
One Ounce Opera is an award-winning collective who has been featured on KVUE, KMFA, KUTX, KOOP, KVRX, on Austin 360 and in the Austin Chronicle, and performed as part of EAST, Fusebox, SoundSpace at the Blanton, HONKTX!, during SXSW, PRIDE Austin, and the Downtown Tree Lighting.Our Mission:
-Encourage a new generation of “opera lovers” with culturally significant, non-traditional venue and program choices.
-Become a respected artistic company of professional singing-artists and musicians providing memorable alternative musical experiences, while promoting opera and classical singing as a vibrant, current, accessible art form.
-Challenge our singing-artists to perform with every inch of their talent, both vocally and dramatically.
-Give our singing-artists a platform to explore new repertoire, share the stage with their peers, and perfect their craft in front of a very live audience.
-Foster an environment of cross-genre collaboration to re-imagine and re-awaken opera, and commission new works from local and regional composers.
Learn more at the OOO website.
One Ounce Opera (OOO) is accepting materials from qualified candidates of ALL VOICE TYPES interested in becoming One Ounce Opera Ensemble Members. Deadline for materials submission is AUGUST 15, 2016.
Who should audition?
- have reviewed the OOO mission;
- are at least 21 yrs old;
- have substantial professional vocal and musical training specific to opera performance, preferably a Bachelor in Music and a lead role under their belt;
- have a nice repertoire of arias, art songs, ensembles, and legit musical theater pieces in “recital shape,” and are interested in learning/adding new, contemporary pieces to their resume;
- are prepared to be open-minded about your performance choices and are intrigued by the opportunity to perform in non-traditional venues and collaborate with non-traditional artists;
- are comfortable and dynamic while interacting with diverse crowds in interesting places;
- are interested in being a part of an artistic and creative team while exploring their vocal capacity; and
- LIVE IN AUSTIN or within 45 minutes of the Capital City. We rehearse weekly during the season in Austin – this is a biggie!
Who should NOT audition? Divas (no kidding!).
BY THE DEADLINE OF MONDAY, AUGUST 15th, please email the following to info(at)oneounceopera(dot)com:
- Performance resume, complete with dates
- Current headshot in jpeg form (small files are preferred)
- Current email address(es) for 1-3 professional references (make sure you tell them we might be bugging them)
- >150 word bio
- Cover letter answering this question: What about OOO or the OOO mission is the most intriguing to me?
Questions? Please do not hesitate to ask!
Limited slots are available. Successful candidates will receive an email scheduling their audition. Auditions will be Monday, August 29th between 8-10:30pm. There will be an accompanist provided, and no fee for the audition! Selected singers will be asked to present a mixture of 4-5 arias, art songs, and legit musical theater pieces representing at least 3 languages. At least one piece must be in English, and at least 2 must be arias. Further instructions will be sent to selected candidates!
Break a leg, and we can't wait to hear from you!