2017-2018 Season Auditions
by One Ounce Opera
Aug. 21 (2017)
Who is One Ounce Opera?
One Ounce Opera…
- *was founded in August of 2012 with the motto — “Opera isn’t obsolete. Popular opinion of opera is.”
- *is dedicated to reimagining opera in unexpected spaces, from the rock stages of Red River to City Hall.
- *is an ensemble of professional singing artists who incubate, create, and produce opportunities to inject “ounces” of opera and classical references into the social consciousness, utilizing cross-genre collaborations, pop-culture references, a bit of improvisation, and the simple beauty of the human voice.
- *is an award-winning collective who has been featured on KVUE, KMFA, KUTX, KOOP, KVRX, in the Austin American-Statesman, TRIBEZA magazine, and in the Austin Chronicle, and performed as part of EAST, Fusebox, Starkbierfest, SoundSpace at the Blanton, HONKTX!, during SXSW, PRIDE Austin, and the Downtown Tree Lighting.
- *is humbled to be a sponsored project of the Austin Creative Alliance.
The OOO mission thrives because of generous support from fans like you. By making a tax-deductible contribution, your hard-earned gift will produce memorable, accessible, high-quality operatic experiences right here in Austin.
Save the date! And follow this event for details, coming soon!
Auditions for ALL VOICE TYPES, returning members, and new singers. August 21, 2017, 7 - 11 p.m., venue to be announced.
-be at least 21 years old as of August 1, 2017
-be a resident of Austin or live within 30 mi of the city limits (all rehearsals and most performances are in Austin)
-have extensive classical vocal/opera performance experience
-be able to participate in at least one of our two flagship events -- Fresh Squeezed Ounce of Art Song (Nov 3, 2017) and Fresh Squeezed Ounce of Opera (Apr 6-8, 2018).
-possess a collaborative spirit.
These auditions serve to place ensemble members on our Season Six roster. Call backs to cast specific events take place internally.
What materials we will need from you (when the application process opens):
-current performance resume, with dates
-list of your four audition pieces. We are looking for complete performances, not park-and-bark. Of your four selections, one MUST be in English, one MUST be in Italian, and one other language of your choice must be represented. Please present at least two arias and at least one art song. You may choose to include one musical theater/G&S song as your fourth choice.
-contact info for two references from the opera/music theater/performance world
-cover letter answering "Why Is OOO For Me?"
An (amazing) accompanist provided.
For more information on One Ounce Opera, including our MISSION STATEMENT and our CORE VALUES, please visit http://oneounceopera.com/about_ooo/
More details to come! Questions? Direct message us!