Opportunity: Assistant Technical Director, Zach Theatre, Austin
ZACH Theatre believes that diverse ideas, cultures, and traditions reflect our community and enhance our insights into the work we present on stage. We are committed to diversity and inclusivity in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, strategic recruitment of staff, artisans, technicians, and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Trustees.
ASSISTANT TECHNICAL DIRECTOR
ZACH Theatre seeks an experienced Assistant Technical Director to assist in the budgeting, preparation, assembly, load in, and rehearsal process of all ZACH productions in support of the Technical Director. In partnership with the Technical Director, the Assistant Technical Director will act as a key member of the technical design team serving as the primary draftsman for all ZACH productions articulating construction methodology, rigging specifications, and critical technology solutions. The ATD will assist in the daily operation of the ZACH Scenic Studios and with other projects as assigned by the Technical Director.
- Maintain a safety-oriented work environment and practice while cultivating safe work practices in the shop and theaters during load-in, strike, day-to-day operations, and in the technical design of scenery from construction method to assembly and load in processes
- Assists in the accurate budgeting of materials and labor for each ZACH production as directed by the TD based on Scenic Drawings and Renderings, including preparation of budget templates and build, load-in, and strike schedules.
- Responsible for producing AutoCAD Drawings as outlined by the TD’s production timeline
- Assists in the acquisition of materials and special order products or equipment with ample lead time on both ZACH production and various special projects as directed by the TD
- Facilitate clear and effective communication between the TD and Shop Foreman, ensuring the Foreman has an understanding of the full design and the scope of each project, through various modes of communication: drawings, written, and verbal.
- Serve as a critical and timely member of Quality Control processes, reconciling construction drawings with designs; build with construction drawings; installation with designs
- Assist with planning and follow-through of scene shop and facilities improvements for the production department and special projects for productions as assigned by the TD
- Act as Technical Director in the absence of the Technical Director; to include, but not limited to, daily operations, Load Ins, attending Design and Production Meetings, Technical and Dress Rehearsal, and other meetings/events as directed by the Technical Director or Director of Production.
- Demonstrated knowledge of theatrical drafting standards, primarily using AutoCAD
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard theatrical construction methods, materials, and equipment
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills with deference to project management and inventory systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of theatre history and technical solutions
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy in typing, proofing, and drawing materials
- Demonstrated experience working independently or as part of a team
- Working knowledge of lighting, scenery, and sound design
- Working knowledge of AC and DC power supplies including single and three phase
- Working knowledge of automation equipment, specifically with Creative Conners equipment
- General knowledge of theatrical rigging and counterweight fly systems
- General knowledge of Scenic Painting techniques and materials
- Knowledge of personnel management techniques and supervisor etiquette and expectations
- Regularly attend Technical and Dress Rehearsals in conjunction with/in place of the Technical Director
- Special Events: Works with Development, Director of Production and the Artistic Director in the scheduling, logistics and technical requirements of company events program
- Rental Program: Support technical needs of the facility rental
- Scenic Studios: Support Technical Director and Shop Foreman with Materials Inventory program and Facilities Maintenance projects
- All work is performed with a direct reflection of the Mission, Vision and Values of ZACH Theatre.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to lift, push, pull or otherwise maneuver up to 70 lbs repeatedly, either alone or with assistance.
- Comfortable working on ladders, mechanical lifts, or other high places.
- Comfortable working in confined spaces
- May be required at times to work in conditions without climate control, such as shop floor, load ins, and truck load/unload
- May be required to work nights and weekends
- Comfortable with mechanics and automation.
EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- MFA or BFA in Technical Direction or a combination of education and work experience that yields the required skills and abilities
- Valid Driver’s License
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to produce construction drawings, from concept to shop floor, using both 2D and 3D AutoCAD drafting techniques
- Ability to project material and labor costs for scenic units
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, lead personnel and projects, and multitask efficiently
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization, vendors, and other key stakeholders
- Ability to navigate the internet and source unique materials and equipment from a variety of vendors
- Ability and desire to be a part of a technical problem-solving environment
- Working knowledge of MS Office including MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Familiarity with concepts of structural design, geometry, algebra and trigonometry.
- A demonstrated knowledge of stage operations and theatrical practice
- Working knowledge of special effects and how they are achieved
- Willingness to operate the shop Panel/Cargo Van and other large vehicles as necessary
- Willingness to safely operate forklift per ZACH protocol after in-house certification
- Ability/willingness to operate box trucks up to 26’ long
TO APPLY: Send resume and cover letter detailing experience to email@example.com