O. Henry Players
Affiliated with the Brush Square Museums Foundation in Austin, Texas.
Beginning in 1934 when the City of Austin accepted the responsibility for the relocation and restoration of the O. Henry House at 409 E. Fifth Street, the museum has always been supported by dedicated volunteers or “friends” who contributed Porter and Roach family furnishings, letters, books, photographs, and memorabilia as well as personal time as museum docents.
In 1988, volunteers organized into Friends of the O. Henry Museum and were approved by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. In October 2000, the Friends filed new Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation (TIN 43-1988102) with the Texas Secretary of State.
In 2003, the 1869 home of Joseph and Susanna Dickinson Hannig was saved, relocated to Brush Square, and deeded to the City of Austin. A grand dedication, open-house was held on March 2, 2010.
In August 2005, the Friends of the O. Henry Museum name was officially amended to Friends of the O. Henry and Dickinson Museums, Inc. And, again in 2015, the organization officially changed its name to Brush Square Museums Foundation to align itself with the City’s re-branding the park as Brush Square Museums to include the O. Henry Museum, the Susanna Dickinson Museum, and the Austin Fire Museum.
email - email@example.com