Seussical, the musical
by Christian Youth Theatre, San Antonio
May. 10 - May. 15
"Oh, the thinks you can think" when Dr. Seuss' best-loved characters collide and cavort in an unforgettable musical caper!
The Cat in the Hat tells the story of Horton, an elephant who discovers a speck of dust that contains the Whos, including Jojo, a Who child sent off to military school for thinking too many "thinks." Horton faces a double challenge: not only must he protect the Whos from a world of naysayers and dangers, but he must guard an abandoned egg, left in his care by the irresponsible Mayzie La Bird. Although Horton faces ridicule, danger, kidnapping and a trial, the intrepid Gertrude McFuzz never loses faith in him. Ultimately, the powers of friendship, loyalty, family and community are challenged and emerge triumphant.
Tony winners Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty (Lucky Stiff, My Favorite Year, Once on This Island, Ragtime), have lovingly brought to life all of our favorite Dr. Seuss characters, including Horton the Elephant, The Cat in the Hat, Gertrude McFuzz, lazy Mayzie and a little boy with a big imagination – Jojo. The colorful characters transport us from the Jungle of Nool to the Circus McGurkus to the invisible world of the Whos.
Director: HannahBelle Gamble
Musical Director: TBD
Assistant Director/Choreographer: Shea Tomich
Stage Manager: Emma De Kiewet
Audition sign-ups will soon be available on the CYT Website through your Family Account!
To audition for Seussical, follow the below steps:
1. Create a Family Account (if you haven't done so already) at the CYTSanAntonio website. This can be done by clicking on the head icon in the upper right hand corner of your screen.
2. Once you have logged in to your family account, click on the button that says "Tools" next to your name. A drop down menu will appear and you will need to click on the option that says "Auditions." From there, you'll be able to edit your audition slot.
Auditions on May 10th (6-9pm) are CLOSED ADULT (meaning you will only be auditioning for the artistic team).
Auditions on May 14th (6-9pm) are OPEN ADULT (meaning you will see and hear the performers in your audition time slot, and people are welcome to watch auditions).
Auditions on May 15th (5-8pm) are OPEN YOUTH (meaning you will see and hear the performers in your audition time slot, and people are welcome to watch auditions).
4. Prepare your audition materials! All auditionees will need to prepare a one-minute cut of a song and prepare a monologue under one minute. Please DO NOT sing something from the show and make sure that you have a karaoke track. Your music will be faded out a minute after you start to sing. Provided monologues can be found HERE!
5. You will need to complete the appropriate CCT Audition Form. Your audition form cannot be submitted without the upload of your karaoke track.
CCT "Seussical the Musical" Audition Form (Minors ages 8-17)
CCT "Seussical the Musical" Audition Form (Adults)
*Video auditions are encouraged and will be accepted until May 15th. To sign-up for a video audition slot, select the May 14th, 11pm slot and complete the CCT "Seussical the Musical" Video Audition Form (All Ages).*
Please keep in mind:
- Auditions are open to individuals ages 8 and up.
- Ages/ranges in descriptions represent the age for the character, not the age of the actor
- All roles will require strong singing and acting skills, plus dance ability. These roles will also require a great deal of memorization and time commitment for the duration of the production.
- Because Seussical is a fantastical and universal story, it is not a story that we will tell with particular casting in mind. The theater is an imaginative form, not a literal one. We want our cast to be comprised of a diverse group of actors.
- Auditions are open to any individual who would like to audition for the show and agree with CCT’s Code of Conduct and Behavior standards. You can find that document HERE.
- There is no compensation for any roles and this is a non-Union production.
- CYT Covid Policies will apply to CCT, and those policies are subject to change.
M/T/TR 6:30-9:30pm, Sat 10am-4pm
July 25-28 6-10:30pm
The Cat in the Hat
***This role has already been cast.***
Horton the Elephant
General Genghis Kahn Schmidtz
Yertle the Turtle
Cindy Lou Who
Jungle Citizens, Whos, Circus Members, Hunches, Fish.
Cadets, Jungle Citizens, Whos, Circus Members, Fish.