The Butler Did It
by Boerne Community Theatre
Nov. 29 - Nov. 30
The scene is the set where Anthony J. Lefcourt, writer and director, is rehearsing his new play, a “classic whodunit” (in which all the characters are named Butler) with which he hopes to regain the success that has eluded him in recent seasons. Desperately eager to stimulate his cast to their best efforts, he has deliberately withheld the final scene of the play from them, but his patience is worn thin by the petty jealousies and romantic rivalries that detract from their concentration. In an effort to spur them on he “stages” the murder of one of the actresses, after which the plot begins to twist and turn with such dazzling ingenuity—and hilarity—that soon actors and audience alike have lost track of what is real and what is make-believe—until a surprise ending sets matters straight in a most bizarre and ironic way.
Director Robert Gonzalez will hold auditions on Nov. 29 and 30, 2020 at Boerne Community Theatre.
Production dates are Jan. 22-Feb. 7, 2021.
All Roles are open:
• Anthony J. Lefcourt - 30’s-50’s, Director, Orson Welles-ian and grandiose
• Robert - 40’s-60’s, Leading man, former daytime television star, a bit dry and humorless
• Natalie - 40’s-50’s, Actress fighting to establish she’s not moving past her prime, flirty and manipulative and occasionally conceited
• Michael - 30’s-40’s, young passionate mafioso, although playing a classy refined butler, making the moves on all the ladies
• Claudia - 20’s-30’s, Young ingenue freshly out of drama school, enamored with the director
• Detective Mumford - 30’s-60’s, classic mystery detective, but also needs to be able to do lots physics comedy
For more info, contact the director at rdgonzalez25 [AT] gmail.com
[graphic from Diamond Head Theatre, Honolulu, Hawaii]