by Vexler Theatre
Jan. 20 - Jan. 21
In a seedy Berlin nightclub, as the 1920’s draw to a close, a garish Master of Ceremonies welcomes the audience and assures them they will forget all their troubles at the CABARET. With the Emcee’s bawdy songs as wry commentary, Cabaret explores the dark, heady, and tumultuous life of Berlin’s natives and expatriates as Germany slowly yields to the emerging Third Reich.
“Divinely, dangerously, decadent”
– New York Times
Cabaret at The Vex
Sunday, 1/20 and Monday, 1/21, 2019 starting at 7:00pm. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
How to Audition
· Read below for details about the rehearsal and production schedule.
· Email the Vex at email@example.com to request an audition appointment.
· All auditioners must prepare a dramatic monologue of your choice, not to exceed one minute.
- All auditioners must prepare a section of one song of your choice: Please make sure that section includes "a verse & a chorus" or "verse & a bridge." The more dynamic the range/contrast between the two sections, the better! Please bring cut and prepared sheet music for the accompanist.
· If you are interested in being considered for a character that is involved in formal choreography and dance numbers, please plan to attend the Dance Audition.
· Dance Auditions will be held at 9:00 pm each day by appointment only.
- Actors interested in the roles of the Emcee, the Kit Kat Dancers (male & female,) Sally Bowles, and a few other supporting roles must attend the Dance Audition.
- Actors interested in the roles of Fraulein Schneider, Herr Schultz, and a few other supporting roles are not required to participate the Dance Audition.
· In your email request for an audition appointment, please indicate whether you also plan to attend the Dance Audition.
· Final Note: Some supporting roles will be involved in dance numbers based on the abilities and strengths of the final cast. Some actors may end up playing multiple roles, of which, some will dance and some will not.
- Playwrights: Masteroff, Kander & Ebb
Directed by: Ken Frazier
- Music Direction: Jaime Ramirez
- Choreography: Desiree Lambert
- All roles are open and will be cast as volunteer positions.
· Show Dates: May 4 – June 2, 2019
· Performance times: Thursdays at 7:30 pm, Saturdays at 8:00 pm, Sunday matinees at 2:30p m. (Tentative evening performance on one Sunday.)
· Call times are 90 minutes before curtain.
· Regular rehearsals will begin in late March with a few possible meetings before then.
· A typical Vex rehearsal schedule is Monday through Thursday, 7 pm - 10 pm. Fridays and weekends will be added if needed due to conflicts.
· The final two weeks and weekends of rehearsals leading up to the 05/04/19 opening will be busy and all actors are expected to be available.
· Actors will be expected to be predominantly “off-book” in early April.
LOCATION: The Sheldon Vexler Theatre at 12500 N.W. Military Highway, San Antonio, Texas, 78231 The Vex is located on the lower level of the building; follow posted signs to the theatre.