by Vexler Theatre
Steel Magnolias is the bittersweet story of six women who gather under the dryers at Truvy’s Beauty Salon to share gossip, laughter, recipes, and beauty secrets on four significant days across three years of their lives in a small US Southern town. When tragedy strikes, they face it with sass and strength, supporting each other through thick and thin. By turns hilarious and poignant, Steel Magnolias is a heart-warming portrait of friendship and love.
Announcing Auditions for Steel Magnolias
Directed by Mark McCarver
Auditions will begin at 4 pm, by appointment only.
Show Dates: May 12 - June 10, 2018 (No shows May 19 or 20)
Performance Times: Thursdays at 7:30 pm, Saturdays at 8 pm, Sundays at 2:30 pm. Tentative evening performance on Sunday.
Call times are 1 hour before curtain.
- All roles are open and will be cast as volunteer positions.
- Prepare a contemporary monologue, comedic or dramatic, not to exceed one minute. No accents for auditions, please.
- Please review the rehearsal and performance schedule prior to auditions.
- Email The Vex to request an audition appointment and for further instruction.
Auditions will be held at the Sheldon Vexler Theatre, located at 12500 N.W. Military Hwy. (at Wurzbach Parkway), 78231. Enter through the Main Level of the Campus of the San Antonio Jewish Community, and follow posted signs to the audition.
- Regular rehearsals will begin in April. A few meetings and read-throughs will be scheduled before that time.
- A typical Vex rehearsal schedule is Monday through Thursday, 7pm-10pm. Friday and weekend rehearsals are scheduled as needed throughout the rehearsal period.
- The final two weeks and weekends of rehearsals include technical and dress rehearsals with the full company called.
- Truvy Jones – female, 30-50. The small town beauty shop owner. Seeking an actor with charisma and attentiveness. Does not have to be Dolly Parton!
- Annelle Dupup‐Desoto – female, 20-40. The newly hired assistant at the beauty shop. Must be able to handle a sharp character arc with nuance.
- Clairee Belcher – female, 45-75. The widow of the former mayor. Looking for a calm energy that has come from a well-lived life.
- Shelby Eatenton‐Latcherie – female, 20-35. Beautiful, strong-willed, and passionate. Must show a wide emotional range.
- M'Lynn Eatenton – female, 40-60. Shelby's mother. Should have a fine-tuned sense of intimacy and emotion.
- Ouiser (pronounced Weezer) Boudreaux – female, 50-70. Wealthy, tough, and eccentric. Looking for an ebb and flow to her curmudgeonly behavior.
*Actual actor ages may be flexible to allow for optimum matching and chemistry between actors.